Monday, November 10, 2008

A Week of Firsts...

Swimming and Salsa, anyone? Well...it is my November challenge...to learn new things that are essential to life.

Of course, the most terrifying activity for me is swimming. Relax?! How?! Are they crazy?! Why would I relax in a large mass of water where I have no place to place my feet? In my first lesson, I finally realized that I do not use all five lobes of my lungs or efficiently use my core muscles. Regardless, I was bold enough to show up for my first swim lesson with Kevin. He is an instructor that is extremely jolly to be in the water and knows how to push my levels. My favorite line was said at the beginning of the lesson..."we won't go to the deep end of the pool today," and guess what...we went to the deep end! Why do instructors lie to their students?! I made it, praise the Lord. And mostly importantly, I did not drown! Well..."yet"...at least that is what my instructor adds everytime I give him my fearful look. I plan to hang in there because I really want to complete my first triathlton.

Salsa, I believe, is highly associated with swimming because it requires much relaxation and being one with the music. I learned the rumba, some c-step, mamba, a left turn, and a right turn. Dancing builds up a sweat too! I am blessed to learn how to salsa at my church. What a great way to fellowship with the saints! We are all going to do the mamba step with a few turns through the pearly white gates.

A week of firsts...I thank God that I have not lost my sense of adventure...yet :-)

No comments: