Monday, January 11, 2010

Keep running...

A year ago, I wish that I could make my own schedule...no more getting up at the crack of dawn to make it to work by 7:30 a.m. I detested working at a desk as I stared at the clock move slower and slower and slower until it struck 4:30. And the sad thing about it...I had to wake up and do it all over again the next day. It was a really bad remake of 'Groundhog Day!'

I also remember a year ago wishing for more money. I know that I am about 5 years from making six digits, but I was eager to be paid closer to what I am worth. Ambitious, hard-working, passionate, creative, team player, who can write grants and design cool public health programs...BS, MPH, PhD-c, CHES PB. See...the letters should make me appear very important. I drept about making my own schedule and getting paid more cheddar!

Well...one out of two isn't bad. Be careful what you ask for. For almost one year, I have been blessed to make my own schedule. I can stay up as late as I want (heck, I did that when I had to wake up early--nightowl!), work mornings and take most of the evening off, or work evenings and take most of the morning off. The world was my oyster.

Maybe...it has not been the ideal situation. So my job became completing this doctorate. I have been labor for almost 12 months and I am able to EXPLODE! Lord, may I have this baby called a PhD?! Isn't it time for it to be released from my physical, intectual, psycho-social, emotional, mental, and spiritual being so I can reclaim my life once again and blog about new things!? I keep hearing that I am almost there, but this is the longest marathon I have ever run in my life. In fact, the marathon that I ran in last October was easier than completing my dissertation.

I will keep my eyes open just a little while longer, Lord. I will keep running (albeit at a steady pace) until Ireceive my prize...the letters (PhD), but of course, I am looking more forward to the purpose that you have in store for me at the finish line. Funny, I don't think that the race will end upon completing this degree. Heaven is a long way; it's just a means to an end....

What a way to start the New Year! It has to get better. In fact, I am counting on it to get better.

No comments: