Thursday, August 5, 2010

And she received a paycheck!

Praise the Lord! Last Saturday, I received my first paycheck! You may ask what I did with my earnings?! Church tithe and offerings, rent, credit card bills, moving expenses debt, car loan payment, and the first of ten loan payments to my parents for car repairs. The good news...my car is officially mine! It's nice to own something!

It has been one month since I began my job at Indiana University. I am so happy to be gainfully employed. The campus is beautiful even in the mist of hot and humid weather. I also enjoy the flexibility of my postdoc assignment. I am able to create my own research agenda. One challenge of academia is it is very lonely. It will be interesting to see how I navigate through this world and be able to produce products to place on my curriculum vitae. I am struggling with juggling so many writing projects, but I pray that God will help me with prioritization and time management. If someone asked me if I plan to stay in academia, I would say "no" as of today. As I progress through my postdoc, I may change my mind. I saw see how I feel about academia next month.

But right now, I will just bask in the joy and excitement of receiving a paycheck!

No comments: